Irish car bomb

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at NETSCAPE.COM
Wed Nov 15 01:09:53 UTC 2006

Another coworker, this one with the very English name of "Tamar Marple", said that she once had a drink called an "Irish car bomb" but didn't know what it was made of.

Barry?  Does your day job extend to expertise on car bombs?

Aside to Wilson Gray---"There's always five percent who don't get the word" was, in my experience, not a humorous barracks expression like "junk on the bunk" but rather a serious proverb drummed into officers and non-coms.  It is very good advice for high-level managers in any organization, military or civilian.

A couple of notes on the ineradicable illiteracy of the US Army:  in Basic Training we had coffeecans nailed onto posts in the barracks for cigarettes.  Each can was carefully labelled "buttes only".  I believe I was the only man in my platoon to notice the possibilities of that one.

But US Army illiteracy is not limited to the grunts.  At the Pentagon I met a piece of social-climbing illiteracy: in the announcement of some formal event, it was stated that "champaign" would be served.

Chairborne!

   - Jim