"hot stuff" from 1759, antedates 1889? Or too literal?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Nov 16 13:37:54 UTC 2006

The army of James Wolfe, of the Battle of the Plains of Abraham,
1759, sang a drinking song called "Hot Stuff."  It includes the lines:

And ye that love fighting shall soon have enough:
Wolfe commands us, my boys; we shall give them Hot Stuff ...
When the forty-seventh regiment is dashing ashore,
While bullets are whistling and cannons do roar.

 From David Hackett Fischer, "Paul Revere's Ride" (1994), pages
238-239; Fischer cites [Harold] Murdock, "Earl Percy's Dinner-Table " page 69.

OED2 has "hot stuff.  a.  A person or thing out of the ordinary run,
something of surpassing excellence or merit; sometimes with
implication of moral censure; also, specif., a woman reputed to be
highly sexed."  Earliest citation 1889.

While this quote does not have sexual overtones, it seems to suggest
the 47th was "[some]thing out of the ordinary".  Or does it simply
mean hot bullets, and is therefore not useful as an antedating of the phrase?

Joel