Wiggle Room?

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Tue Nov 21 18:32:50 UTC 2006

>We might want to alert newcomers to the list to check our Archives.  We've
>discussed these phenomena, as well as vowel laxing, a thousand times
>before, and all our exchanges are archived--right, Terry and Jesse?

Excuse me, I should have noted that the Scottish use of "need + p.p." was
noted here before:

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0301E&L=ADS-L&P=R1067&I=-3

However, I don't know that it's obvious to any newcomer (or even oldcomer)
how to search for this in the archives: "needs washed" worked for me just
now, with (if not 1000) a respectable 56 messages returned. Maybe some
other expression would return more.

-- Doug Wilson