Oops!

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 22 19:22:07 UTC 2006

It wasn't Charleston, SC, it was Charleston, WV! I was watching the
Judge Maria Lopez show, when I heard -ight as -oit, again. As I began
to pay closer attention, it turned out that the speakers were from
Charleston, _West Virginia_ and *not* the city of the same name in
South Carolina. My bad, to coin a phrase.

Defendant: The kids were supposed to spend the _noit_ at _moi_ house,
that _noit_.

Judge to plaintiff: Is that right?

Plaintiff: Yes, that's _roit_.

For the phoneticians among us, the -oi- sounded more like [^i] than like [Oi].

-Wilson
-----
-Sam Clemens