"In a world where.." cliche, coined by Don LaFontaine?

Wed Nov 22 21:23:28 UTC 2006

I doubt LaFontaine coined much of his voiceover work -- it is all scripted by ad copywriters.

It was a cliché, no doubt, when it started being used in movie ads, and I can find the phrase back into the 1890's without too much trouble.

See, for example, this ad for Sapolio (a cleanser??), which reads in its entirety:
"In a world where "Cleanliness is next to Godliness" no praise is too great for Sapolio"
Display Ad 9 -- No Title The Washington Post; Feb 6, 1895; pg. 3