"Black Friday," again

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Nov 26 00:28:56 UTC 2006

A couple of days ago, on the local version of NBC national news, a
talking head claimed that there would be no post-Thanksgiving "Black
Friday," this year. Indeed, merchants were expecting year-over-year
growth to be in the neighborhood of 3,000,000 more customers,
nationwide, just on that one day.

I don't recall that I'd ever heard the term before. Very likely, I
have heard it before, but not enough times for it to stick in my
memory.

-Wilson

On 11/25/06, Sam Clements <SClements at neo.rr.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Sam Clements <SClements at NEO.RR.COM>
> Subject:      Re: "Black Friday,"  again
>
> Is it just me, or has the term "Black Friday" been used in the media this
> year on an order of tenfold over previous years?
>
> Sam Clements

-----
-Sam Clemens