Back in the saddle

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Mon Nov 27 10:58:02 UTC 2006

I must be in Copenhagen the first week of June.

>---------------------- Information from the mail
>header -----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Mikl=F3s_Kontra?= <kontra at NYTUD.HU>
>Subject:      Re: Back in the saddle
>
>DInIs,
>
>your thinly veiled suggestion for an invitation when you are in Europe
>is not forgotten. By the agent deleter.
>When exactly would that be? The financial and other situation is always
>hopeless here so I should know.
>
>MiklÛs
>

>Dennis R. Preston Ìrta:
>
>>  Colleagues,
>>
>>  I was queried, nay accosted, recently about my failure to appear in
>>  ADS-L, particularly with reference to some recent postings that some
>>  thought would boil my Lowland Applachian-Hungarian blood.
>>
>>  Alas, I forgot that the "pilot" part was deleted from my e-mail
>>  address some years ago and that recently the institution stopped
>>  honoring messages sent to that old address. ADS-L was one that used
>>  that format.
>>
>>  I am happy to be back in the fold.
>>
>>  dInIs
>>  --
>>  Dennis R. Preston
>>  University Distinguished Professor
>>  Department of English
>>  15C Morrill Hall
>>  Michigan State University
>>  East Lansing, MI 48824
>>  517-353-4736
>>  preston at msu.edu

>--
>MiklÛs Kontra
>Research Institute for Linguistics
>Hungarian Academy of Sciences
>H-1068 Budapest,
>Bencz™r u. 33., Hungary
>Phone: (36 1) 321-4830, ext. 110
>Fax: (36 1) 322-9297
>Email: kontra at nytud.hu
>http://www.arts.u-szeged.hu/elteal/staff_mikloskontra.html

It should be the chief aim of a university
professor to exhibit himself in his own true
character - that is, as an ignorant man [sic]
thinking, actively utilizing his small share of
knowledge. Alfred North Whitehead

There are many different religions in this world,
but if you look at them carefully, you'll see
that they all have one thing in common: They were
invented by a giant, superintelligent slug named
Dennis. Homer Simpson

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor
Department of English