Call for Papers -- Toulouse Conference on Copntemporary English

Mon Nov 27 16:54:51 UTC 2006

I attended the first of these conferences two years ago, and it was great!

 2nd International Conference on the Linguistics of Contemporary English

Second call for papers

2nd - 4th July 2007

Toulouse, France

Website: http://iclce.toulouse.free.fr

Call for papers deadline: 30th January 2007

INVITED SPEAKERS
* Jack Chambers (University of Toronto)
* Heinz Giegerich (University of Edinburgh)
* Carlos Gussenhoven (Queen Mary, University of London)
* Geoffrey K. Pullum (University of California, Santa Cruz)

CONFERENCE DESCRIPTION

The attention devoted to the linguistic phenomenon (or phenomena) known
as English has resulted in a broad body of work in diverse research
traditions, illustrating both the individual characteristics of the
many Englishes, and the contributions that an understanding of these
linguistic systems can make to our general knowledge of the human
language faculty.

Our aims are (i) to encourage the cross-fertilisation of ideas between
different frameworks and research traditions, all of which address the
linguistics of English, and, furthermore, (ii) to promote discussion
among researchers interested in linguistic theories (phonologists,
syntacticians, variationists etc.) regarding what we mean when we use
the word 'English' to describe the linguistic phenomena which we work
to explain.

This conference aims, therefore, to provide a platform for work which
deals with any aspect of the structure of contemporary varieties of
English, in terms of their phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics
etc., in any way which aims to be explanatory. Work on any variety (or
number of varieties) is welcome, including variationist work which
engages with issues of linguistic structure. We do not envisage this
including work which is purely historical, but work which brings in
diachrony in order to explain the structure of Present-Day English is
certainly welcome.

ABSTRACT SUBMISSION

Abstracts are welcome on any area of the structure of contemporary
varieties of English: phonology, phonetics, morphology, syntax,
semantics, discourse, pragmatics, sociolinguistics, dialectology, etc.

Abstracts should be no longer than one side of A4, with 2.5cm margins,
single-spaced, with a font size no smaller than 12, and with normal
character spacing. All examples and references in the abstract should
be included on the one single page, but it is enough, when referring to
previous work, to cite "Author (Date)" in the body of the abstract -
you do not need to include the full reference.

Please send two copies of your abstract - one of these should be
anonymous and one should include your name, affiliation and email at
the top of the page, directly below the title. All abstracts will be
reviewed anonymously by members of the organising committee and
advisory board. The named file should be camera-ready, as it will be
used in the abstracts booklet if the proposal is accepted.

Abstracts must be in pdf file format and should be submitted by email
to Lidia Philippe (iclce.toulouse at free.fr) with copy to Jacques Durand
(jacques.durand at univ-tlse2.fr).

To favour the presentation of work in progress, we plan to run a poster
session for postgraduates only. Postgraduates interested in this
possibility should send a proposal to Lidia Philippe
(iclce.toulouse at free.fr). Please use the same format as for a paper
submission (see above). If you want to submit the same abstract for a
talk and a poster session, please indicate this in your email.

Time for papers: 30 minutes, plus 10 minutes for questions.

An overhead projector will, of course, be available, and we will
provide powerpoint facilities, if you notify us in advance. If you need
other technical equipment, please say so in the message accompanying
your abstract and we will do our best to provide it, although this
cannot be guaranteed.

Deadline for abstracts: 30th January 2007

Scientific Management Board:
Philip Carr (main organiser, CELA, Montpellier III)
Jacques Durand (main organiser, ERSS, CNRS & Toulouse II)
Bas Aarts (UCL London)
Patrick Honeybone (University of Edinburgh)
Devyani Sharma (King's College London)
Graeme Trousdale (University of Edinburgh)