"pellow" and "melk"

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Mon Nov 27 18:09:51 UTC 2006

I remember saying 'pellow' in the late 60s in ORegon.  Never heard
'melk' till I moved to Minnesota in the 90s.  German has 'melken', but
I doubt that German caused 'melk' in US (even Midwest, where there
are/were large numbers of German speakers.)
Here is a feedback I saw on Amazon:
i ordered my CD on Oct. 23 and its almost Nov. 23 and its not in my
position yet!

The opposite change  e>i !!
Fritz

>>> kreynolds3 at HOUSTON.RR.COM 11/23/2006 9:48 AM >>>
I was born in NW Ohio and lived there for 28 years before moving to
Texas in 1984. My wife, from Houston, takes great joy in correcting my
pronunciation of the words "pillow" and "milk," which I pronounce with
an "e" like that in "mellow." My sister says "melk" also. I'm curious if
anyone has any insight on whether this is common to the midwest or just
a family thing.

Kerry Reynolds
Manager -- Communication Services
Houston ISD