A couple of Saint Louis oddities

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Nov 28 16:32:46 UTC 2006

My grandfather, a lifelong New Yorker, used to say "Cincinnata" and "St. Looey." My grandmother, ditto, said "Cincinnati" and "St. Lewis."

  Both learned their pronunciations, presumably, in the 1890s.

  JL

Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: A couple of Saint Louis oddities

Good point, Paul. "Sunda" is a well-known localism. Local columnists
would write about it on a slow day. On the other hand, "tossel" was
something that I heard, but I never used it myself, and never saw it
mentioned in the local papers. That is, "tossel" could very well have
been spreading *to* Saint Louis. I have to remind myself that, WRT the
Saint Louis dialect, I have to remember that I'm talking about what
was true fifty years ago. But, even then, I knew several people who
had moved from, e.g. Cincinnata ;-), to Saint Louis.

-Wilson

On 11/20/06, Paul A Johnston, Jr.
wrote:
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: "Paul A Johnston, Jr."

> Subject: Re: A couple of Saint Louis oddities
>
> Wilson,
> I'm not sure about the distribution of "sunda" but "tossel" might be widespread. I've heard it from my wife and brother-in-law (Cleveland, OH) and from my MI students. I wonder for how many people "tossel" means specifically corn tassel, too.
>
> Paul Johnston

-----
-Sam Clemens