Jesse Jackson wants to ban "N-word"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Nov 29 03:55:54 UTC 2006

Banning words? So much for Mark Twain's "Huckleberry Finn." I'm burning my
Historical Dictionary of American Slang, H-O right now...Maybe Jesse  Jackson
can ban "ain't" and y'all," and "fuck" of course has to go,  and then...
_http://www.playfuls.com/news_0003530_Jesse_Jackson_Others_Seek_N_word_Ban_in_
Entertainment.html_
(http://www.playfuls.com/news_0003530_Jesse_Jackson_Others_Seek_N_word_Ban_in_Entertainment.html)
Jesse Jackson & Others Seek "N-word" Ban in  Entertainment
05:15 PM, November 28th 2006

Rev. Jesse Jackson will meet with TV and _film_
(http://www.playfuls.com/news_0003530_Jesse_Jackson_Others_Seek_N_word_Ban_in_Entertainment.html#)
executives to discuss banning the use  of derogatory expressions in the entertainment
industry. "We want to give our  ancestors a Christmas present," he said.
Asked about free-speech issues, Jackson  said the word is "unprotected."

The Rev. Jesse Jackson and others said  they will meet with TV networks, film
companies and musicians to discuss the  "n-word." They also sought an effort
by the public to stop using the term. "We  want to give our ancestors a
Christmas present," Jackson said at a news  conference. "Dignity over degradation."
Jackson also asked the public to not buy  a _DVD_
(http://www.playfuls.com/news_0003530_Jesse_Jackson_Others_Seek_N_word_Ban_in_Entertainment.html#)  box
set of the seventh season of the TV  show "Seinfeld" that was released last week.

"This is not simply about  whether or not the black community forgives or
forgets, this is about  understanding that this is pervasive, that this happens
in all of our  institutions, one way or the other," U.S. Rep. Maxine Waters,
D-California,  said.