"Political jokes..some of them get elected" (1958)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Nov 29 18:42:27 UTC 2006

Any source for this quote, one that Eliot Spitzer added to his high school
yearbook? It's not in Fred's YBQ.
FYI, I tried Newspaperarchive and I get a blank screen. It ain't working
right now. On the plus side, Newspaperarchive changed the "years" problem and
you can now search by date. But the program still sucks. Many times,  I'll
request the next page of search results and get the same page  returned. Or I'll
press "search" and get returned to the home page again. Then I  try again and
get "The page you are trying to view cannot be displayed." Is it  like that for
everybody out there?

_http://blogs.nydailynews.com/dailypolitics/archives/2006/11/spitzers_favori.p
hp#comments_
(http://blogs.nydailynews.com/dailypolitics/archives/2006/11/spitzers_favori.php#comments)
The worst thing about political jokes is that some of them get  elected.
_Anonymous_
_Vocabula Bound: Outbursts, Insights, Explanations, and  Oddities: Essays on
the English Language... - Page 254_
(http://books.google.com/books?vid=ISBN0972993762&id=AOLVDEJSydgC&pg=PA254&lpg=PA254&dq="political+jokes"+and+elected&ie=
ISO-8859-1&sig=jVFhSnFf8GoEkCs52SFV_mxko3o)
edited by Robert Hartwell Fiske  - 2004 - 304 pages
Now personally, I don't believe in  political jokes. I've seen too many of
them
get elected.  Pianist and comedian Victor Borge has observed that “laughter
is  ...
NEWSPAPERARCHIVE IS WORKING NOW!
PRAISE BE TO GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
23 October 1958, Ada (OK) Weekly News, pg. 4, col. 4:
The trouble with political jokes is that they often get elected to  office.
-- Tony Pettito (Tony Petito, from a movie?--ed.)
3 July 1960, Times Recorder (Zanesville, Ohio), "Main Stem" by Bud Harsh,
pg. 6:
The Main Stem Philosopher opines:
"The trouble with political jokes is that they sometimes get elected to
office."
8 November 1960, Charleston (WV) Gazette, George Lawless' The Gazetteer,
section 2, pg. 13, col. 1:
The trouble with most political jokes is they usually get  elected.