Hastings-haters

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 30 02:27:40 UTC 2006

No, it isn't. It might not even be interesting, if Hastings were
white. But there's certainly nothing interesting about a black person
talking black. I've been known to do it myself, from time to time,
when circumstances warrant. And "hater" is no longer a shortened form
of "player-hater." Like the cheese, it now stands alone.

-Wilson

On 11/29/06, Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at babel.ling.upenn.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU>
> Subject:      Hastings-haters
>
> In his announcement that he would not seek the chairmanship of the
> House intelligence committee, Rep. Alcee Hastings released a statement
> ending with this line:
>
> "Sorry, haters, God is not finished with me yet."
>
> <http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/002049.php>
>
> That's presumably the hiphop sense of "hater", short for
> "player-hater" (defined by the new OED entry as "a person who is
> jealous of the success of others", with cites back to 1993).
>
> Interesting to hear that term coming from a congressman, as opposed to
> a rapper, sports star, etc.
>

> --Ben Zimmer

-----
-Sam Clemens