on offer

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Nov 30 14:17:23 UTC 2006

Meet me in St. Lewis, Lewis. Meet me at the Fair.

JL

Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:  ---------------------- Information from the mail header -----------------------
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: on offer

As the old song went, "You came a long way from Saint Louie and, baby,
you still got a long way to go."

OTOH, some few people say "Sant Louie" and most others say "Saint
Lewis." "Saint Louie" usually refers to Saint Louis University or to
Saint Louis University High School.

-Wilson

On 11/29/06, James A. Landau wrote:
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: "James A. Landau"
> Subject: on offer
>
> On Wed 11/29/06 12:11 AM Michael Adams used a phrase I've never noticed before: "on offer"
>

> I haven't a clue about the etymology of "gizmo," but I wonder if anyone
> else (Barry, particularly) has ever encountered it as a food term? In
> eastern Pensylvania, perhaps in Philadelphia and associated New Jersey,
> too, a "gizmo" was a sandwich shop item, half hamburger and half ham
> sandwich -- or maybe I should say whole hamburger and whole ham
> sandwich, but what I really mean is equal parts hamburger and ham
> sandwich. I decided after I ate my first and only one, that it was meant
> for those who couldn't get enough meat or salt from any other sandwich
> on offer.
>

> OT comment to Jonathan Lighter: The correct pronunciation is /seint looey/. /seint loois/ or /seint loo at s/ is an illiteraticism created by monolingual Yankees who were too ignorant to bother to larn French. At least this illiterati haven't yet changed the pronunciation of the name of my home town to /lewisville/.
>
> - Jim Landau

> Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

-----
-Sam Clemens