ah/ awe

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Oct 1 15:18:57 UTC 2006

In a similar way, a great many people find it almost impossible to imitate the old-time NYC diphthong in "bird."  It's written as "boid," but does not usu. sound like the surname "Boyd."

  They can't do it, just as many people can't hear the difference between "cot" and "caught" - no matter which sound they prefer.

  A Candid Camera segment in the '60s showed people in eastern North Carolina insisting that "oil" and "all" sounded entirely different. What made it hilarious was that one after another kept saying, "One is AWL and the other's AWL ! They're different !"

  At least that's how I and the producers of Candid Camera heard it.

  JL
Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: ah/ awe

Not necessarily, Tom. I was at a party at which people were wearing
nametags. A woman named "Wanda," as a joke, had written "Wander" on
her nametag. In the course of the evening, she was approached by an
Englishman who wondered about her name, "Wander." After she explained
the pun, the Englishman ejaculated, "Oh, I see! Yaw name is not
'Wan-DUH'!, It's 'Wan-DUH'!" Clearly, he was under the impression
that, just as he had understood the distinction - once that it was
explained to him - just so could he reproduce the distinction. Not
true.

-Wilson