saying "ah" for "awe"

Sun Oct 1 20:09:36 UTC 2006

There is really nothing "easier" about saying either variant, unless you
think that lip-rounding is a real chore.

Nor is spelling always a guide: how do you pronounce DON? How do you
pronounce DAWN? If DON were spelled DAN would that make it easier to justify the "ah"
pronounciation that most people use in DON?

There is also a good deal of variability based on the word itself, CONTACT
sounds very foreign to me if pronounced with the rounded vowel.

The bottom line is everyone is queer but thee and me, and sometimes I find
thee a little queer,