ah/ awe

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Oct 1 20:35:43 UTC 2006

Tom, the school systems of several nations have been trying for a century and a half to keep people from saying "ain't."  With little success.

  In the second grade in NYC, a substitute teacher tried to get us to pronounce the vowel identically (as "ah") in all these words:

  Frog, Hog, Log, Smog, Fog, Dog.

  She claimed it only made sense and, apparently, would help build character. We thought she was a crank. Eventualy she gave up. For me, they're all "ah" except for "dawg."  In many other places they're all "aw" or something similar.

  JL

Beverly Flanigan <flanigan at OHIO.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Beverly Flanigan
Subject: Re: ah/ awe

Give it up, Tom--it won't work! The scholarly research by linguists on all
this is very clear and has been cited by many of us.

However, I might use your poem as a diagnostic test, if I may, to see who
merges and in which words; for the same speaker, some of these words may go
to the "ah" sound and others may not. For example, in another test I use,
"balk" may have 'aw' while "balm" has 'ah', for the same speaker (myself
included). Go figure.

Beverly Flanigan