Phrase-"thrown under the bus"

Sam Clements SClements at NEO.RR.COM
Mon Oct 2 01:33:10 UTC 2006

Couldn't find it in the archives.

I've become aware of it in the last few months, but upon reading it twice this weekend in stories, I just have to ask who invented it?  Fred?

A news story today about steroids/Jason Grimsley

"I don't have a comment," added Tejada, who was also involved in a steroid controversy with former teammate Rafael Palmeiro. "What can I do? I just played one [year] with Grimsley. I already got thrown under the bus with Palmeiro. I'm not worried about it, and I said I don't have a comment."

Then, in a story about the Foley affair,  I read it again.

So, I Google "under the bus" using their News search, and got an astounding 588 hits!

Hopefully this indicates the expression has "jumped the shark" and will soon disappear.

Sam Clements