Phrase-"thrown under the bus"

Mon Oct 2 14:16:54 UTC 2006

I did an entry for "throw (someone) under the bus" today (giving Sam
Clements credit for bringing it to light).

http://www.dtww.org/index.php/dictionary/throw_someone_under_the_bus/

Despite the Urban Dictionary entry (which, like all such dubious
etymologies, lacks details--call letters? station manager name?) I
was only able to take it back for certain to 1991, when it appeared
in a courtroom context. There is also a bracketed quote from 1984,
which, as in HDAS style, means that it's not certain to perfectly
epitomize the term being defined, from the rock-and-roll industry. It
has it only as "under the bus" not "throw under the bus" or "put
under the bus" (which is a less common variant). I think I let my
subscription to Rock's Back Pages expire, so perhaps someone else
will try to verify that something similar exists in that biz.

Grant Barrett
Double-Tongued Dictionary
http://www.doubletongued.org/

The Official Dictionary of Unofficial English (May 2006, McGraw-Hill)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0071458042/