"fanelights"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Oct 2 14:41:19 UTC 2006

That's interesting, Paul.  I've never had [3i] and (no surprise) cannot recall that any of my schoolmates in public elementary school in Manhattan had it either.

  Yet a half-century later I still hear it sometimes in news interviews, generally with white, male, working-class speakers, some of them relatively young.

  JL

Paul Johnston <paul.johnston at WMICH.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Paul Johnston

Subject: Re: "fanelights"

Roger Lass (a Brooklynite) says that what really happened to [3i] was
that the second element became closer and turned into /r/, reinforced
by the incoming /r/-pronunciation from other parts of the country.
NYC /r/ in this position is somewhat palatal--and I think this
variant is widespread in the area today. I think I have it, in
fact, and I'm a suburb kid from solid rhotic territory (Orange
County, NY and Morris County, NJ). There are also still plenty of
New Yorkers who are largely non-rhotic in all cases except this
vowel--that's the usual pattern I find among older women, for instance.

Paul Johnston