The Meaning of "Rhyme"

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Mon Oct 2 14:46:30 UTC 2006

        Well, Weingarten is a humor columnist (and a pretty good one, I
would say, though he isn't to everyone's taste).  I don't think he would
have a problem with ribald comment.  I'll pass on the "assonate"
suggestion.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Jonathan Lighter
Sent: Monday, October 02, 2006 10:34 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: The Meaning of "Rhyme"

Assonance is traditionally considered to be an "alternative to rhyme,"
in the words of M-W, but I've heard it called a "form of rhyme" as well.

  Either way, he's talking about assonance, and the word he should use
is "assonate."

  But that would be a) a "hard" word that his readers don't want to know
about, and b) susceptible of ribald comment, which he doesn't want to
encourage.

  Hence "rhyme."

  JL

  ---------------------- Information from the mail header