ah/ awe

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Oct 3 01:06:14 UTC 2006

At 12:47 AM +0000 10/3/06, Tom Zurinskas wrote:
>Most folks pronounce them the same according to Bert Vaux's survey.  There
>is a distribution map also at.
>
>http://www3.uwm.edu/Dept/FLL/linguistics/dialect/maps.html
>
>15. How do you pronounce Mary/merry/marry?
>     a. all 3 are the same (56.88%)
>     b. all 3 are different (17.34%)
>     c. Mary and merry are the same; marry is different (8.97%)
>     d. merry and marry are the same; Mary is different (0.96%)
>     e. Mary and marry are the same; merry is different (15.84%)
>     (11422 respondents)
>
>I wonder how it is possible for people to answer any of Bert Vaux's
>questions if they are deaf to the differences as some people here say.  They
>apparently are not.
>
>Tom Z

I may not follow the logic of the query, but I suspect it's a
question of not being blind to the difference in the orthography
rather than not being deaf to the difference in the pronunciation.
People who pronounce the three words the same do still spell them
differently.  If I can understand and answer the question "Do you
pronounce "bear" and "bare" the same?" (I would answer it "yes", as
would every other English speaker I'm aware of), does this show that
we're "really" not deaf to the differences in pronunciation that
we've somehow collectively retained from Middle English?

LH