ah/ awe

Gordon, Matthew J. GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU
Tue Oct 3 03:19:53 UTC 2006

Yeah but the interesting thing about Pittsburgh, as Doug noted, is the monophthongization of /aw/ which isn't spreading into either Ohio or West VA, right? The Atlas of North American English found it only in SW PA with any regularity.

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society on behalf of Beverly Flanigan
Sent: Mon 10/2/2006 9:54 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject:      Re: ah/ awe

Same thing in southeastern Ohio:  The vowel in 'Don' and 'dawn' isn't quite
as rounded as my Northern 'saw' and 'bought', but it's definitely not the
vowel in Northern 'Don'--as it is in central Ohio and westward.  So there's
a merger of ah/awe here too, but it's more raised and further back than in
Columbus.