spelling pronunciation exercises

Wed Oct 4 15:20:31 UTC 2006

> > OK. I'll give it a try.  To get it straight, the
> "wh" is spoken "hw" not
> > "wh" right.  (hwich makes no sense hwatsoever.
> Hwy thy say it that I'll
> > never know.  But I'll do hwut you say for a hwile.
> >
> > Tom Z

NO!  At least not to my ears.  To me, "w", as in
"whale", is (oo), the double "o" either weakly
volcalized, or not vocalized at all but a rounding of
the lips in preparation for the following exhalation
of the "h"!
(oo)hale
(oo)hy
(oo)hat
(oo)hile

Tom Z's pronunciation would put the (oo) after the "h"
and create two sylabls; h(oo)-ich, h(oo)-ut, h(oo)-y,
h(oo)-ile.

Also, we =>(oo)e,  similar to French "oui".

At least that's the (oo)ay I hear it and say it!

Maybe we should start calling it "double O'; it's
diffinitely not the "double V" of other European
languages.

http://mail.yahoo.com