"novel" once again

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Oct 5 13:59:57 UTC 2006

  2003 Joanna Berry in Steven Jay Schneider, ed. _1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die_ (London: Quintet) 421: _The Great Escape_ (1963)...based on the novel by Paul Brickhill, is backed by a memorable score by Elmer Bernstein that beautifully punctuates every fantastic moment.

  Paul Brickhill's book (1950; rpt. N.Y.: Norton, 2004) is nonfiction, based partly on his own experiences. (The well-known film is heavily fictionalized.)

  And for lagniappe:

  2004 Satish Rajah _The Great Escape (MGM Feature Only Disc)_ http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews/Reviews.asp?ID=4565 : The Great Escape is based on the incredible true story of the mass breakout from a prisoner-of-war camp in Sagan, Germany during World War 2.... I feel that the film is actually more compelling and entertaining than the slightly dry, journalistic feel of the original novel, although the latter of course fleshes out far more detail about the characters and the planning than was possible in the film.

  Acc. to WorldCat, the video release carries the info, "Based upon the book by Paul Brickhill."

  JL