"novel" once again

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri Oct 6 12:11:32 UTC 2006

While composing an excellent limerick in response to Jonathan's (which I won't post; unlike some folks, I do possess a modicum of shame)--specifically, while working on a rhyme for "novel"--I was reminded of an incident in my Shakespeare class earlier this week.

Amid a deeply-moving consideration of King Lear's epiphanies out on the heath, several students actually snickered at my pronunciation of "hovel"!  I rhyme the word with "shovel," but every single one of my undergraduate students pronounces it to rhyme with "novel."  I pursued the matter for a bit, and the same distinction obtains with the pronunciation of "grovel."  The dictionaries do record both pronunciations of "hovel" and "grovel" (just one each for "novel" and "shovel").  I wonder if my students' pronunciations represent a trend that's left me behind?

Of course, I settled the issue in class by decreeing that the words must be pronounced the way they are spelled . . . .

--Charlie