a whole nother

Michael Adams madams1448 at AOL.COM
Fri Oct 6 15:42:19 UTC 2006

And here's a whole nother reason it can't (read "shouldn't") be infixing in English: it would be the only case I can think of in which a proposed infixing would end up generating an interposing -- another infixed as a whole nother ends up becoming a phrase, "a whole nother," in which whole is interposed. I would never say that it couldn't happen (always unwise to say), but given our current expectations it shouldn't happen -- should it? Can anyone think of another example?

~ Michael