"A Whole Nother" and "Alls I Know Is"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 6 21:15:36 UTC 2006

Beverly, you say that "the 'all as' origin has been pretty well
established." Would you, by chance, have a cite handy? If you're
wondering why I might want to see a cite that *supports* my analysis,
it's like this. Many years ago, ca.1977, I intuited the "all as"
analysis. When I suggested it to my "alls"- speaking roommate from
Vermont, he poo-pooed the idea. Given that he wasn't some naive native
speaker, but, rather, a grad student in linguistics at M.I.T. who is
now a tenured professor at a Big Ten university, I respected his
opinion and made no effort to pursue my intuitive analysis. However, I
didn't forget it.

So, when I saw the present query, I figured, WTF? Other members of the
listserv will have fun blowing my analysis out of the water, but, so
what? Then I find out that "my" analysis is the standard analysis!
Needless to say, my curiosity has been piqued. Or is that "peeked"?
;-)

-Wilson