"so's" (and "Alls I Know Is")

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 9 04:26:07 UTC 2006

"So's" is still alive and kicking among many BE speakers. I use it
myself. It was also used a lot by actors in the old horse operas. Of
course, that use could have been stereotypical as adding to the local
color.
-Wilson

On 10/7/06, Arnold M. Zwicky <zwicky at csli.stanford.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU>
> Subject:      "so's" (and "Alls I Know Is")
>
> On Oct 7, 2006, at 9:00 AM, i wrote, about "alls"/"all's":
>
> > i got this story from:
> >
> > Mark Liberman, "All's I know is ..." 7/24/04:...
>
> add to this non-standard form the equally non-standard "so's" 'so
> (that)', presumably from "so as" used this way (entry 29a for "so" in
> the OED, marked as now dialectal).  some hits on "so's I can":
>
> COME ON BACK TO ME NOW, HONEY, SO'S I CAN KILL YOU! COME ON BACK TO
> ME SO'S WE CAN PLAY ...
> www.travisshredd.com/cz/Band/comeonback.htm
>
> use 6 bolts so's i can snug 'em up and gain a little extra strength
> in the friction coefficient.
> www.sculpture.net/community/archive/index.php/t-982.html
>
> And actually, I need it two weeks in advance so's I can track down
> what I'm missing before they sell out.
> www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=395
>
> Still hoping to track down the original photos so's I can get a copy.
> davesgarden.com/forums/t/651739/
>
> [not in Brians]
>
> arnold (zwicky at csli.stanford.edu)

Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
-----
Whoever has lived long enough to find out what life is knows how deep
a debt of gratitude we owe to Adam, the first great benefactor of our
race. He brought death into the world.

--Sam Clemens