"all as"

Chris F Waigl chris at LASCRIBE.NET
Mon Oct 9 15:19:27 UTC 2006

Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:
>  elizabeth traugott has unearthed one example of "all as" 'all that',
>  in the EEBO (Early English Books Online) section of the Chadwyck LION
>  electronic data base:
>
>  "I have nothing to say against this  paraphrase but that it may be
>  the true sense of the Words for all as I know to the contrary at
>  present" (1682 Author Honest gent. and a true lover of all such.
>  Title: Concavum cappo-cloacorum)
>
>  and she's found
>
>  a half-page in Tanja Herrmann, Relative clauses in dialects of
>  English", in Bernd Kortmann, Tanja Hermann, et al. A Comparative
>  Grammar of British English Dialects, Mouton de Gruyter, p. 65.
>  Hermann says: "In the Central Southwest...the relative particle ''as'
>  has retracted from the rel. marker system to semantically and
>  syntactically related niches and exits the dialect via topicalization
>  structures, such as it-clefts and all-pseudo-clefts". Some exs. are
>  given.

Here's another one, from the Proceedings of Old Bailey, 1734. You can
inspect the original at the URL.

====
David Jones . I am Watchman of Cheap-side, and all as I know is, that I
know nothing of the Man, for I never saw him till after he was brought
to the Watch-house; and I did not see the Woman at all, for she was sent
to the Compter, before I came to the Watch-house. But I am possible she
was never search'd at the Watch-house.
Mary Cotterell , alias Tilbury, theft : pick pocketing, 24th April, 1734.
The Proceedings of the Old Bailey Ref: t17340424-37
http://www.hrionline.ac.uk/luceneweb/hri3/display_20050804.jsp?mode=bailey&file=html_units%2F1730s%2Ft17340424-37.html&hil=content:(tilbury)
====

Chris Waigl