The buck stops here?; Sooner (1889)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Oct 10 01:42:56 UTC 2006

In a message dated 10/9/2006 8:31:14 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM writes:

BTW, I'm sticking to my story that I saw a reference to "The Buck Stops Here"
 on a little desk plaque in a story published during the '30s in _Our Army_
magazine.  The fact that Truman's came from the desk of a prison warden  lends
some credence to my tale, though a search by Fred last year found  nothing.
The plaque was supposedly on the desk of a first sergeant or  company
commander somewhere in the continental U.S.

JL

Actually, I spent hours and hours and hours looking for this myself, and
found nothing in OUR ARMY. Maybe Fred did, also, but you can credit "log in to
unmask."
I tried to look up "Sooner" for the "Red River Rivalry" game
(Texas-Oklahoma). I'm not sure what I'd already posted on this, but here's  something:

(OED)
Sooner

U.S. slang.
One who acts prematurely; esp. one who endeavoured to get into  Government
territory in the West before the time appointed for its settlement  (chiefly
with reference to the settlement of the territory now known as Oklahoma  before
the official opening of the area to settlers on 22 April 1889). Hence  (with
capital initial), an Oklahoman. Also attrib.; the Sooner State, Oklahoma. Hence
soonerism, the  practice of the unlawful and premature settlement of Oklahoma.
1890  in Columbus (Ohio)  Dispatch 7 May, Governor Campbell..thinks it
altogether too soon to talk of  1892... The Governor is quite right in declining to b
e regarded as a sooner. 1890  Congress. Rec. 17 Jan. 657/2 We  have
recognized the fact that there are ‘sooners’ there.
     _San Antonio Daily Light_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=rjxKODINVaGKID/6NLMW2rTRFPuzrETaPfa/aCe1NlYd/bWPI9TbKkIF+CsZYmrz)
_Tuesday, July 23, 1889_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=oklahoma+and+sooners+AND+date:1889-07-23)  _San Antonio,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=oklahoma+and+sooners+AND+cityid:25699+AND+stateid:94+AND
+range:1759-1890)  _Texas_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=oklahoma+and+sooners+AND+stateid:94+AND+range:1759-1890)   July special
from Guthrie, OKLAHOMA, says The decision of tho lAND office  SOONERS" as thoso
who entered OKLAHOMA, before noon on April  22 arc called, is OKLAHOMA as fast
asthenews spreads. Two hundred  men were in line yesterday
_Decatur Republican, The_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=W0CtXEq/mhWKID/6NLMW2ichUSAFdAoEWO2HaPEp+KfkDeDpg9xYn0IF+CsZYmrz)  _Thursday,
August 01, 1889_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=oklahoma+and+sooners+AND+date:1889-08-01)  _Decatur,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=oklahoma+and+sooners+AND+cityid:7138+AND+stateid:37+AND+range:
1759-1890)  _Illinois_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=oklahoma+and+sooners+AND+stateid:37+AND+range:1759-1890)   DOWN in  OKLAHOMA
they have a new same for those previous fellows who rushed  into SOONERS" are
rap- idly comiog to grief, AND are  learning to their intense sorrow OKLAHOMA,
Dakota, Colorado ai d  all parts of the West, on August 6th AND 20ih