A misunderstanding of BE slang

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 10 19:02:04 UTC 2006

Yes, I've heard it, but, AFAIK, like "cultivate one's wig," it's never
been widespread, I was shocked to hear it on "That '70s Show." I
figure that all of the writers must be young enough to be my children,
so when would they ever have had the occasion to hear that bit of
antique slang? But, perhaps, they read it somewhere.

I've heard "cultivate one's wig" only once, outside of the old 'hood
in Saint Louis. It was used in a movie, like TV, also an artificial
environment. In an old, neo-blaxploitation comedy, a black lawyer says
to the white judge, "Please, your honor, let me cultivate my wig!"
I've never been quite sure what it was supposed to mean in that
context. "Let me demonstrate my command of legal procedure," perhaps?
The only meaning that I have for it is, basically, "get a haircut."

-Wilson