Whadda hell?

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed Oct 11 12:08:21 UTC 2006

The OED's entry for "Hobson's choice" gives the name of the famous Cambridge "carrier" as "Tobias Hobson."  I wonder why?  His name was Thomas.

The "inflexible stable-keeper Hobson (c. 1544-1631)," was not quite "an otherwise unremarkable and minor figure in history" (I'm quoting from Arnold's "ECDB" article).  John Milton memorialized Hobson's death with two comical elegies, and fellow Cantabrigians wrote others.  Hobson's long career as carrier (!) between Cambridge and London became something of a byword for traveling much but not GETTING ANYWHERE.

--Charlie