"Kype"

Jim Parish jparish at SIUE.EDU
Sat Oct 14 13:17:28 UTC 2006

Does anyone have any data on the geographical, social, or temporal
distribution of the word "kype", meaning to steal? I recall hearing it in
my Army-brat youth - that would be in the mid-'60s or so - but I've only
encountered it a couple of times since, once in the writings of sf/f writer
Glen Cook (who puts it in the mouth of an ex-Marine), but also once in
a livejournal entry by a civilian woman (who did not respond to my
question as to where she picked it up).

It seems likely to me that it's a bit of military slang, but I'd be interested
in confirmation or refutation.

Jim Parish