Popo (police)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Oct 14 23:05:20 UTC 2006

I don't know what HDAS or OED has for "popo." A cite below says this comes
from Texas slang, but I think California is more likely.

_http://www.rapdict.org/Po-po_ (http://www.rapdict.org/Po-po)

noun
po-po
The police. "Anybody seen the po-po's, let 'em know" -- "Anybody Seen The
Popo's," Ice Cube

_http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=popo_
(http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=popo)

    POPO      (javascript:void(0))  364 up, 31  down  (javascript:void(0))

A Police officer. especially the ones that rides on  bikes.

Orgin: California late 80's

police officers that  patrols certain beaches on bikes wore a vest that said
PO in huge  blockletters on each of their chest. which means Police Officer.
they  usually ride around in group of two's.

when you see them coming by.  you see the word "PO" "PO" when they stand next
to each other.
Man.. here comes the PoPo to tell us what to  do again.
by _Lec2_ (http://www.urbandictionary.com/author.php?author=Lec2)  Feb 9,
2003 _email it_ (javascript:void(0))

(GOOGLE BOOKS)
_Ethics in Crime and Justice: Dilemmas and Decisions - Page  133_
(http://books.google.com/books?vid=ISBN053456349X&id=3Nnzg6ieoAgC&pg=PA133&lpg=PA133&dq=po
po+police&ie=ISO-8859-1&sig=KOc6bUfVVg6BwYaxWfX1fbcoFSs)
by Joycelyn M  Pollock - Law -  2003 - 440 pages
The POPO (“pissing  offa police officer”) doctrine that describes how
affronts to
police authority often end in unethical uses of force; .  ...
(GOOGLE NEWS)
_Many of Our Black Athletes Are Going Backwards; Not  Forward_
(http://www.blackathlete.net/artman/publish/article_02401.shtml)
BlackAthlete.net -  <NOBR>Sep 29,
... Now there is nothing wrong with  hanging out with teammates but this
police blotter syndrome ...  Let me just say that if the Dallas PoPo had asked me
questions that  ...
(GOOGLE BLOGS)
_Ticket?! WHAT?!_
(http://lejolilapin.blogspot.com/2006/09/ticket-what_12.html)      12 Sep 2006 by Vicki
And I see  this popo (Texas slang for police) sittin' on the inside of a
curve.
So I thought "crap!" and I looked down at my speedometer and  thought
"shit!".
Because, I was doing about 60 in a 45. I was about to  put my foot on the
brake ...
_Bloggin' -  http://lejolilapin.blogspot.com_
(http://lejolilapin.blogspot.com/)
_I Hate Cops_
(http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=30980978&blogID=180024225)      16 hours ago
Our law enforcement, better known as the  police/cops/popo, are generally
assholes.
Actually, I  like to think of them as the local gestapo. I've met more of
them
than  I would've lik...
_My Blog -  http://blog.myspace.com/30980978_
(http://blog.myspace.com/30980978)
_THE  "POPO" GOT US._ (http://cadarlo.livejournal.com/8777.html)      8 Oct
2006 by Arissa
...  the neighborhood and we got pulled over by the po-po in front of  the
church.
... The police pulled us over because  someone called them on us for playing
So he made me sit  there in the backseat of the police car for 20 minutes,
_Bonzo Goes to Bitburg -  http://cadarlo.livejournal.com/_
(http://cadarlo.livejournal.com/)