Popo (police)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 16 20:27:57 UTC 2006

Jon notes "... the fact that 'popo' also means backside."

Feet up! Pat him on the _popo_! Let's hear him laugh! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

This is the refrain of an old '50's pop song that I *hated*! So,
naturally, the passage of a half-century hasn't been sufficient to
enable me to forget it. Of course, if Jon had not mentioned "popo," I
might well have forgotten the song. However, I'm not attempting to
place the onus on Jon. How could he have known?

-Wilson

On 10/15/06, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Popo (police)
>
> HDAS III will offer 1994.  Wherever it originated, my students were reporting it as common by 1997.
>
>   I like the "PO" suggestion.
>
>   That and the fact that "popo" also means backside.
>
>   JL
>
> Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
-----
Whoever has lived long enough to find out what life is knows how deep
a debt of gratitude we owe to Adam, the first great benefactor of our
race. He brought death into the world.

--Sam Clemens