~chooldrin

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 18 12:06:33 UTC 2006

FWIW, these pronunciations - childrin and chuldrin - as well as
childring, chuldring, chilrin, chulrin, childin, chuldin, chirrin, and
churrin, plus further variants with shwa [I spell "schwa" this way on
purpose. The word is Hebrew. Why transliterate it to look German?] in
the second syllable, are all found in BE. I've never heard the
traditional Negro-dialect chillin / chullun except as used by the late
John Lee Hooker in his blues masterpiece, "Boogie, Chillun."

-Wilson

On 10/18/06, Paul Johnston <paul.johnston at wmich.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Paul Johnston <paul.johnston at WMICH.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: ~chooldrin
>
> Your old enemy, sound change again, in this case, assimilation to the
> slightly lip-rounded qual.  ity of the preceding /tS/ (<ch> and the
> velarity of the dark /l/ following the vowel in question.  This would
> tend to back, and/or round the vowel, simply because we don't
> pronounce sounds in isolation, but as part of a continuous string and
> (regrettably for you, but inevitably) our speech organs cause each
> sound to overlap into the preceding and subsequent sounds.
>
> Paul Johnston

> On Oct 17, 2006, at 10:00 PM, Tom Zurinskas wrote:

> > -----------------------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       Tom Zurinskas <truespel at HOTMAIL.COM>
> > Subject:      ~chooldrin
> > ---------
> >
> > I've noticed a change in pronunciaiton of "children".  I would
> > assume it to
> > be ~childrin (~ denotes truespel notation).  But I'm hearing
> > everywhere
> > ~chooldrin (where ~ool is as in ~wool).
> >
> > Not that I like it.  I prefer speech to be as close to tradspel
> > (traditional
> > spelling) as possible.  Wandering away from it violates the alphabetic
> > principle.
> >
> > Tom Z

Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
-----
Whoever has lived long enough to find out what life is knows how deep
a debt of gratitude we owe to Adam, the first great benefactor of our
race. He brought death into the world.

--Sam Clemens