Texas Popcorn (fried okra or stuffed jalape ños)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Oct 19 03:06:07 UTC 2006

"Texas popcorn," for DARE and others.
_http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/texas_popcorn_fried_o
kra_stuffed_jalapenos/_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/texas_popcorn_fried_okra_stuffed_jalapenos/)

Texas Popcorn (fried okra; stuffed jalapeños)

"Texas popcorn” can be either fried okra or crabmeat stuffed jalapeños. Or,
it can simply mean popcorn that’s made in Texas.

_Ashtray  Recipes_
(http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Crabmeat%20stuffed%20jalapenos%20(texas%20popcorn))
Crabmeat stuffed jalapeños (texas popcorn)
Categories: None
Yield: 1 Servings
1 lb Flaked crabmeat
1 cn (1  pound, 11 ounces) Jalapeño peppers
2 tb Each, finely chopped green pepper,  onions, and dill pickle
¼ c Cracker meal
1 Beaten egg
¼ ts Salt
¼ ts Black pepper
⅛ ts Cayenne pepper
1 Clove minced garlic
¼ c  Milk
2 c Cracker meal
1 c Mils
2 Eggs
¼ ts Each salt and pepper
BREADING MIXTURE Here’s a recipe by Annette Reddell Hegen from a recipe card
produced by the Texas Agricultural Extension Service. Cut peppers in half
lengthwise. Discard pulp and seeds and rinse carefully. In a large mixing bowl,
combine remaining ingredients, except breading mixture. Stuff pepper halves
with  crab mixture and press stuffing around pepper. Set peppers aside. To
prepare  breading mixture: Place 2 cups cracker meal in a flat pan. In a separate
pan,  mix 1 cup mils, 2 eggs and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Dip
peppers in egg  mixture, then in cracker meal. Repeat procedure. Deep fry at 365
degrees (F)  until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Makes 30 hors d’oeuvre.
Posted to  CHILE-HEADS DIGEST V3 #133 Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 16:34:23 -0500
From: Mike  Stallcup.

_Mike  Anderson’s BBQ (Dallas, TX)_
(http://www.mikeandersonsbbq.com/whatscookin.htm)
FRIED OKRA
Our take on a Texas  favorite. We double-bread it, deep-fry it to a golden
brown and toss on some  Zazzoo Powder. Mike calls this stuff Texas Popcorn. Its
scrumdiddleyicious!!!

_Nation’s  Restaurant News_
(http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3190/is_n22_v23/ai_7653541)
Nation’s Restaurant News, May 29, 1989 by Jack Hayes
Southern cuisine sweeps US menus
(...)
Fried okra is just as  hot at a Wyatt’s cafeteria 50 miles east of Los
Angeles in San Bernardino, said  associate manager Bridget Haggarty, who transferred
recently from Texas.
“The kids out here [in California] love it,” said Haggarty, whose name for
okra is “Texas popcorn.” Meanwhile, parents are choosing many other Southern
favorites: rice with gravy, greens, and fried chicken.

_Google  Groups: atl.general_
(http://groups.google.com/group/atl.general/browse_thread/thread/1b3510814b659f5f/7042739ba82ac5e0?lnk=st&q="texas+popcorn"&rn
um=1&hl=en#7042739ba82ac5e0)
From:  hammer
Date:  Thurs, Oct 12  1995 12:00 am

I’m a Texas Boy and have a real hankerin for some Good  “TEXAS” barbecue.
There was a restaurant in Dallas that had Wonderful Barbecure, Potato Salad
and Texas Popcorn (Fried Okra)