~chooldrin

Thu Oct 19 03:46:02 UTC 2006

there's actually more variation among newscasters than you think.
How about someone like Bob Schieffer, then?  Watered down, but still
distinctly Texan.  Dan Rather watered his Houston-area Texan way down
when he was on his own show.  But I remember his appearances on David
Letterman where that shone through too.  And he always pronounced
"spatial" and "special" the same, and was known to say
"Worshington".  Admittedly, there's a lot more homogeneity than most
varied speakers would have.

And no, they don't speak Kalamazooan, quite, despite my students'
opinions.

Paul Johnston