Take the rag off the bush

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 19 20:10:11 UTC 2006

This reminds me of a bit of patter (I've been using "rap" in this
sense, but it seems to me that what people actually said in those days
was "patter") used by Saint Louis's original black DJ, "Spider" Burks
(of course he had shows entitled "Spinning With Spider" and "The
Spider's Web"!): "They (the musicians who developed what was then
known as "modern" jazz) _took the ship out of the bottle_ and made it
stand for a brand-new sound."

-Wilson

On 10/19/06, Charles Doyle <cdoyle at uga.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Take the rag off the bush
>
> Just quickly checking the books near at hand:  B. J. Whiting's _Early American Proverbs and Proverbial Phrases_ (1977) gives "To take the rag off the bush" (#R10), with two quotations from 1810.  Of course, that doesn't answer the etiological question . . . .
>
> --Charlie

Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
-----
Whoever has lived long enough to find out what life is knows how deep
a debt of gratitude we owe to Adam, the first great benefactor of our
race. He brought death into the world.

--Sam Clemens