Who says ''Merkins''?

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 20 15:37:57 UTC 2006

LBJ’s Speech can be heard at this site below.
I don’t here “merkins” for Americans.
http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/lbjvietman.htm

Some interesting pronunciations (~ means in truespel notation)
“good”  - sounds more like ~gud (~u= short u “uh”)
“Americans” – Ummairikinz  (~u=uh, ~mm=start stressed syllable, ~air=”air”,
~i=short i, “it”,
The letter “s” often has an “sh” sound.
“speak” sounds like ~spik
“questions” ends in ~chinz
“million” ends in ~yin
“American” again is ~ummairikin, not “merkin”
“talks, offer”  these vowels are “awe” ~au not “ah” ~aa
“promptly”  no ~t
“discussions”  ends in ~shinz
“restraint”  ~ree, not ~ri…
“denounced”  ~di,  not ~dee
“preparations”  ends in ~shinz
“during”  ~dyereeng  (~er as in “her”)
“assault”  “awe”  ~au
“elected”  starts with ~e (short e)

I stopped after a minute or so.  I find that “Americans” is not said as
~merkinz for two samples above.  Of interest to me is that the ending of
“ion” or “tion” is as in “in” (short i) not “un” (short u).  This is common
in m-w.com and agrees with my choice for respelling -ion for truespel.

Tom Z

USA CT20, TN3, NJ32, FL4+
See truespel.com and the 4 truespel books at authorhouse.com.

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
>Subject:      Re: Who says ''Merkins''?
>
>Yes, that was every language geek's favorite joke back in the LBJ era--even
>among us Texans who might not even have noticed the presidential
>pronunciation had we not known about merkins!
>
>The pubic wigs were (apparently) much in demand among ladies of fashion in
>the 17th century--perhaps to disguise the baldness that can result from
>syphilis.  And to think: now our female students (and some males)
>deliberately denude themselves of the very hairs that their forebears took
>such pains to replace . . . .
>
>--Charlie

Try Search Survival Kits: Fix up your home and better handle your cash with
Live Search!
http://imagine-windowslive.com/search/kits/default.aspx?kit=improve&locale=en-US&source=hmtagline