The kids will find lube holes

Mark Peters markpeters33 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Oct 20 16:06:49 UTC 2006

In a student paper on curfew laws, I spied this remarkable sentence, "The cons on the issue at hand are that if the laws are too strict the kids will find lube holes."

  Most web references to lube holes are about technical stuff I can't understand. Only a few hits are sexual. This is the only other example I could find that seems like a sincere mistake, though since the topic is oil...I'm not sure:

  Heemmm, that's one of the story, so be carefull with low price synthetic oil, which is actually Group III mineral base oil but marketed or sold as Syn Oil. Some use this lubehole to market their Group III mineral oil at PRICE of Group IV PAO Synthetic Based Oils.
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:9gu8V9ROPMYJ:vocm.com.my/forum.asp%3Faction%3Dviewtopic%26topicid%3D294%26cat%3D1+%22lubehole%22&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=7

  Is this an eggcorn? Or just a delightful, isolated error?

  Looking for lubeholes,
  Mark

Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Eggcorn?

"on the heals": ca.162,000 Googlits for the phrase

_On the Heals_ of the Assault Force: Captain William Foster, Jr. QMC.
The Quartermaster Review, March-April 1994.

-Wilson
--
Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.

--Sam Clemens