Fwd: pissed as a newt/Albert Jack's book

Lynne Murphy m.l.murphy at SUSSEX.AC.UK
Fri Oct 20 22:38:58 UTC 2006

Arnold's info gave me the confidence to post my blog entry.  So, if you're
interested, it's at:

<http://separatedbyacommonlanguage.blogspot.com/2006/10/local-fauna-expressions-part-one.html>

Thanks, Arnold!
Lynne

--On Friday, October 20, 2006 1:13 pm -0700 "Arnold M. Zwicky"
<zwicky at csli.stanford.edu> wrote:

>> On Oct 20, 2006, at 1:01 PM, Lynne Murphy wrote:
>>
>>> Just writing a blog entry and have drafted this--but before I post
>>> it, does
>>> anyone have any evidence in favour of what looks like an
>>> 'etymythology'
>>> from Albert Jack?  There's nothing about his linguistic
>>> credentials in his
>>> book or the Penguin authors website, and no bibliography in his book.
>>
>> i took a brief swipe ("And still they come") at this appalling book
>> on the Language Log back in january:
>>
>>   http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/002767.html
>>
>> in it i quote an amazon.com review with this marvelous bit in it:
>>
>> In the foreword the author portrays himself as being inspired to
>> write it when sitting in an olde English pub musing on the oddness
>> of English phrases. It reads as though it had been researched in a
>> pub as well...

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Senior Lecturer and Head of Department
Linguistics and English Language