lost communication (face of shame)

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Sun Oct 22 15:49:14 UTC 2006

Better confess to the class.  That quiet student sitting in the back row with a daydreaming look is actually soaking in every word you say and taking it to heart.

Gerald Cohen

________________________________

From: American Dialect Society on behalf of Charles Doyle
Sent: Sun 10/22/2006 9:17 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: lost communication (face of shame)

<snip>

Also embarrassing was my walking into my Shakespeare class last week, having just been reminded (by a posting on this list) of Dr. Bowdler and the notorious trumpet-playing in Othello's bed.  I shared the information with the class, and the students were appropriately amused.  Only later did it occur to me that the Bowdlerized line appears in _Cymbeline_, not _Othello_ (though I believe the misascription is fairly common in recountings of Bowdler-lore). Now: Do I confess the error to my class or keep quiet, secure in the knowledge that my students never remember anything I say anyhow?

--Charlie