Take the rag off the bush

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Oct 22 17:05:05 UTC 2006

IIRC it was his lawyer.

  But "rap" = talk is virtually absent from print before the mid sixties.  HDAS (and OED) has a possible example from Damon Runyon in 1929, but I suspect the meaning there is "to recognize (someone)."  But what do I know ?

  "Rap" doesn't appear in any of the '40s jive-talk glossaries that I can think of. Of course, these were produced in NYC. African-American speakers in the Midwest and beyond were extremely underrepresented in print before the sixties.

  JL

Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: Take the rag off the bush

I didn't use either "patter" or "rap" in the '40's. I know that
"patter," as opposed to the complete phrase, "the pitter-patter of
little feet," was used by Thomas "Fats" Waller in his combination song
/ rap, Your Feet's Too Big: "'Baby patter?' Baby *elephant* patter!" I
don't have any reason to believe that this use of "patter" was based
on anything other than "the pitter-patter of little feet," having
nothing to do with speech.

As for Eldridge, what audience was he addressing such that he felt it
was necessary for him to define his non-standard use of a word as
ordinary as that of "rap" as late as 1965?

The sole point was that I was reminded of that old, annoying saying
that I did hear in the '40's, to the effect that "'Ain't' ain't a word
because it ain't in the dictiionary."

That is to say, your insight that I was just a-birdturdin' is
absolutely correct. That post was merely a rap. As my Canadian former
roommate used to say, "What the hell, eh?" "No harm, no foul," to coin
a phrase.

-Wilson