Merkins--(origin in metanalysis)

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Sun Oct 22 18:40:26 UTC 2006

Tom, such spellings would generally not be serious (everyone knows how to
spell 'American'); they might be satirical or comic in specific contexts
only (something Google doesn't include, right?).  On the other hand, the
pubic hair meaning may be the source of some of these "misspellings."  When
we talk about dialects here, we're basically talking about spoken forms and
how they vary.

Beverly