Fwd: conversating

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Mon Oct 23 00:01:58 UTC 2006

This "Doan" pronunciation is typical of South Midland speech, what I've
been calling the 'Don --> dawn" vowel change.  It's not quite 'dawn' but
something midway between  Don and dawn (/a/ and /oh/ for IPA users).  So NC
speakers, black or white, would have this vowel.  I cited "waited on" as
sounding like this, diagnostic of South Midland both grammatically and
phonologically.

The idea that "conversating" would sound "up" is quite understandable; it's
"fancier" than plain old "conversing."

Beverly