please put places lived history in signature (was merkins)

Michael H Covarrubias mcovarru at PURDUE.EDU
Mon Oct 23 01:58:25 UTC 2006

Tom -- are those states listed in order of residence -- and do the numbers
represent the years spent in each state?  I'll use that model for now. (Note
that I keep moving back to MI -- If this is the right format I'll gladly include
it in my signature.)

USA - MI4, OH3, MD3, MI13, ND5, MI3, IN1+

I've never heard 'arrange' pronounced without the first vowel unless it is
following another vowel.  So the phrase "I'm gonna arrange these" might
drop/combine the schwa, but "I'll arrange these" would not.

I have heard "police" pronounced with a dropped first vowel -- but it remains
disyllabic.  Instead of creating an onset cluster, which would devoice the [l]
and make [i] the nucleus, I've heard the [l] become the nucleus of the first
syllable leaving [i] for the second.

If I hear correctly would that then create a geminate [l] or somehow allow the
[l] to serve also as the onset of the [-lis] syllable?

Quoting Tom Zurinskas <truespel at HOTMAIL.COM>:

> >"It is not uncommon in American English to weaken and drop unaccented vowels
> >from the first syllables of words, whether or not they are preceded by a
> >consonant, e.g., POLICE > P'LICE, ARRANGE > 'RANGE. etc."
>

> I's say those pronunciations are quite uncommon in USA, but possibly not in
> UK.  You're from UK I gather.
>
> I'd like us all to put a line history of places lived like mine below in my
> signature.  I find many  responses I get are from non-American natives, even
> though this is "American" Dialect Society.
>
> Tom Zurinskas, USA - CT20, TN3, NJ33, FL4+
> See truespel.com and the 4 truespel books at authorhouse.com.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

   Michael H. Covarrubias
   Department of English