Dawgs

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Wed Oct 25 03:06:21 UTC 2006

I agree with Matt but would transcribe it as [daUg].  It's present here in
SE Ohio too.  The confusion with open O may result, as suggested, from the
common loss of that phoneme, and from comic strip representations like that
in "Hi and Lois," which uses the spelling Dawg but clearly isn't set in
Appalachia.