Oxford Round Table--which doesn't sound very "round"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Oct 25 13:49:15 UTC 2006

Courtesy of someone on another list, who too mentions their web site:

>Manchester College is part of the University of Oxford. As best I
>recall, a Harris gave it some cash, hence its present name. Oxford
>attitudes are rarely in advance of the times, and this fact, rather
>than a right-wing agenda, is more likely behind any quaint concepts
>in its circulars. See, if you feel you must,
>http://www.oxfordroundtable.co.uk/

I also copy their Disclaimer:

"The Oxford Round Table is an independent organization that conducts
educational forums and seminars under agreements with certain of the
Oxford Colleges and has a special relationship with St. Antony's
College.  The Round Table is not a degree granting institution and
does not have a formal academical connection with the University of Oxford."

As for Harris Manchester College itself, the Oxford Round Table site
says of it:

"Harris Manchester College was founded in Manchester as Manchester
Academy in 1786 by English Presbyterians. It was one of the last of a
long line of "dissenting academies" established after the Restoration
to provide higher education for Nonconformists, who were denied
degrees from the ancient universities of Oxford and Cambridge by
religious tests. The principle of religious liberty was fundamental
to the new foundation, which was to be open to 'young men of every
religious denomination, from whom no test, or confession of faith'
would be required. Both lay and divinity students would be enrolled."

And does not credit Harris Manchester College's own site, where the
first paragraph of the College's "Brief History" is identical -- as
is the entire rest of the text of the Oxford Round Table's page
identical to the rest of the College's Brief History, and where the
Oxford Round Table claims copyright/all rights reserved
(http://www.hmc.ox.ac.uk/history.html).

Joel